Honey & Orange Blossom Butter Cake Recipe – Infused with Dilmah Earl Grey Tea
- 125g butter
- ¾ cup caster sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly whisked
- Rind of 1 large Australian Navel Orange
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 Dilmah Earl Grey tea bag
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 tbsp full cream milk
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (or similar flavouring)
- 1 tbsp Australian honey
- Pinch of salt
- Honey & Orange Buttercream:
- 250g unsalted butter
- 3-4 cups pure icing sugar
- 1 tbsp. Australian honey
- ¼ – ½ cup fresh Australian orange juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line two 20cm cake tins.
- Prepare tea by placing teabag in a teacup and pouring boiling water onto teabag. Steep for 5 minutes. Remove teabag and add milk. Stir. Allow to completely cool.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Fold eggs gently into creamed butter and sugar. Add orange rind, orange blossom water and honey, and stir through thoroughly.
- Sieve one-third of the flour and pinch of salt into the creamed mixture, folding with a metal spoon. Pour in one-third of the tea and repeat this process until the flour and tea are incorporated.
- Divide mixture evenly between prepared cake tins and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes or until metal skewer comes out clean.
- Make sure the cake has cooled completely before you ice it
- Honey and Orange Buttercream:
- Cream butter and icing sugar, slowly adding orange juice and honey to taste.
- Beat until light and creamy, ensuring all butter has been incorporated.
- Ice the cake starting by creating a filling between the two sponges, then icing the top and sides until the whole cake is covered
Dilmah is a family-owned Sri Lankan tea company established by Merrill J. Fernando, the first tea grower to offer his tea, grown, handpicked and traditionally made, directly from the origin. The Dilmah Family is committed to the traditional, artisanal style of tea-making so rejects the much cheaper but prevalent Cut Twist Curl (CTC) method of tea manufacturing, and emphasises the importance of tea as a luxurious delicacy and a naturally healthy herbal beverage that is rich in variety.