Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
Sometimes everything old is new again. Like the cooking your mother made, that your grandmother also made, and that her mother before her made too. Recipes that stand the test of time and have been passed down through the generations. Chocolate Caramel Slice with its’ hundreds of variations is available everywhere; in bakeries, at cake stalls, at school fetes and at morning teas across the country. You could debate all day long as to which version is best, how to make the biscuit base, how thick the caramel centre should be but I believe this is one of the best versions around.
The base is not too thick and it’s not like a dry, crumbly shortbread. The centre is not too sickly sweet (but let’s face it, of course it’s going to be sweet) but again it’s not too thick and it’s not runny like some caramel slices are. The top is just a glossy layer of smooth, melted chocolate with a hint of coconut oil to make it super shiny. Perfect for school lunch boxes, this can be cut into squares and frozen.
- 1 cup plain (all purpose) flour
- 1/2 cup dessicated coconut
- 125g unsalted, melted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, chopped
- 2 x 395g cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- Chocolate Topping
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- Pre-heat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced/350F.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm tray with non-stick baking paper.
- Mix the flour, coconut, butter and brown sugar together and press it into the base of the pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until light golden.
- Meanwhile make the filling by combining the butter, condensed milk and golden syrup together in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly so it doesn't catch on the bottom or edges for approximately 5 minutes. It should have a caramel smell to it.
- Pour this over the cooked base and return the tray to the oven for a further 15-20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Cool the slice in the fridge for an hour.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil together in the microwave or in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). Spread over the caramel filling and return to the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
- Cut into slices.